Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Haves and the Have nots...

Posting again, already...why not--sleep is really over rated. (Note to self: look up the definition of sleep as I'm pretty sure I have forgotten).

I read that little newspaper insert today, you know that one, Parade, where they tell you what people make. I typically finding it very interesting and imagine myself in said new career with higher pay...but WHOA this years list was a shocker. Most people either made a lot, or nothing. The spread between the haves and the have-nots is growing at an impressive speed. People were listed in there with very low salaries, $15,000 for the school bus driver who ensures our kids safety? 25,000 for  woman who works on something to do with literature and the arts. I think I was in such shock I blocked it out.

Lately, I have felt sorry for myself. A single mom, a teacher with a Masters Degree in education, and yet I make 40,000 a year. Go ahead, be impressed.  A wage should allow the wage earner some sort of comfort to the effect of being able to be useful in the economy (ie go shopping). Yet with the constant increase in bills, the constant bills coming in, and the constant need for something (note I said need, we are not even talking about wants!), I am continually one step away from the Asylum for the Poor and Indigent.

Am I thankful for what I have? Yes, everyday. But there is something wrong with a society that values actors and athletes over teachers.

There is something wrong when a woman with a Masters Degree cannot afford to support 1 child comfortabley and not worry that eating out 1 time will cause a negative bank balance.

There is something wrong with a woman being required to have a man in her life in order to survive and thrive (via two person income).

However, unless Channing Tatum plans to share his wealth with teachers at large, I am not expecting any changes soon. I am growing our future leaders. I am shaping their minds and souls (AND I LOVE it!) and yet to do so requires me to live in poverty. Something stinks in suburbia...

No comments:

Post a Comment